Thursday, January 21, 2010

How do you train a bat?

Edward has been very busy lately with taking care of his new pet. He started to complain about how much of his time it seems to take to make sure Vlad is well fed, played with, cleaned, and rested. Yes, Vlad sleeps. Who knew? Edward and I were surprised, too. Anyway, Vlad's behavior was a concern of Edward's before we got Vlad home. Edward didn't know what to expect as far as Vlad's tempermant and just general activities he would be prone to doing. I told Edward that I didn't know either. I trained dogs not bats. So he better keep a tight reign on Vlad until we know for sure so the bat doesn't go running a muck around the house. And the first thing you teach him, Edward, is to not bite the dog! Got it? Edward:"That's funny, the first thing I was going to teach was to bite the dog." What was that???? Edward:"Oh, nothing. Rule one, don't bite the werewolf. Got it." And Edward blames Bella for being stubborn. A little hypocritical, are we?

So, back to Vlad. He was fairly tame at first, which was a plus. So I told Edward two important things that are very helpful when dealing with a pet that doesn't know you yet. First, let him know that you are in charge, or the alpha if you will. Edward:"If I'm the alpha, does that mean I am the alpha to the werewolf, too?" No Edward, you are not the werewolf's alpha, I am. I mean dog!! Crap. Edward:"You said werewolf!! You admitted it!!" You tricked me! You mind ninja-d me. That's not fair, it was a mistake. Edward:...smirks with superiority....... Enough!! On with the training. So, again, first make your place as the alpha. And second, food is the best way to gain trust with most animals, as long as they are not finicky eaters, that is. So Edward took my advice and soon enough Vlad was completly inseperable from Edward. I would assume that some really intense chipmunk feeding frenzy sharing is to thank for that.

Then Edward decided to get into some real training. He came to me, asking so many questions about simple commands and actions. We talked for hours about it. Edward really does have a thirst for knowledge. He decided to start with basics. Here he is leash training.

He looks like such a pro. I was so proud of him. Edward got Vlad to heal with him only after a few minutes. After seeing how talented he was at training his pet, Edward considered for a moment becoming a dog trainer. I told him that might be a good idea if the dogs wouldn't growl, snarl, bark and drool with their hackles up and then run away in his presence. Edward:"True.."

The next day, at work, Edward decided to try something more complex. Stay, then coming when called. I explained to him the simple procedure then he went off to try.

"Vlad, stay."

"Come here, boy!"

"Good boy!!"
Edward was so proud. You should have seen it. It was so cute. I told Edward to keep practicing that comand. It is invaluable if your pet ever starts running into the street. He nodded vehemently. Edward is really becoming smitted with the little bat.
Feeling lucky, and succesful, Edwad tried somethig a lot more complicated. He wanted to see if Vlad could learn to Fetch. He asked me if I thought it was possible. Again, I played the I don't know, I trained dogs not bats card again. But encouraged him to try. You never know. So Edward found a little ball and set Vlad a bit away from him in preperation.

"Fetch the ball, Vlad.............go on.................go get it, boy.............come on, you can do it.........."
Unfortunatly, Edward was not having as much luck with this one. This went on for some time.

"Vlad, get the ball. It's right there...........you have to move.......why are you just staring at it?........Pretend it's a chipmunk..............this is a simple task...........I don't think he is gonna do it."
I don't either, Edward. Just give him a break, and try again later. He might need to learn it in steps. It's not impossible. Focus on what he is good at for now. Edward:"Ok."
Since I very rarely leave the house without Edward, he needed to find a way to bring Vlad with us everywhere, too. This is something that I wish I would have thought of before I had Edward get a pet. Oh well, what's done is done. Edward had a good thought:"Since I always go in your purse, why don't we just attach Vlad to it. I mean, he came with a handy built in key chain attachment. Why don't we just utilize that?" Edward is brilliant. Here he is attaching Vlad to my purse before leaving the house.

"I know you don't like being tied up like this, but it's only for a short time, I promise, little buddy."
I tried to hid my giggle when Edward said little buddy. But it didn't do any good. He caught me. I thought I was going to get it for that, but I was surpised that he only smiled shyly and looked away. Edward is really starting to develope real emotion for his pet. He is really coming a long way. I am so glad. Edward really has been a lot more easy to live with since the addition to Vlad. It's like he is a different vampire..........sometimes.
I guess there is no greater bond than between a boy and his bat.








2 comments:

17foreverlisa said...

I just love Edward and Vlad!!

spellbound said...

Hahaha that's pretty cute! Keep working on that fetching thing...